ADSM-L

Re: DB & LOG Volume layout - new

2006-01-25 07:27:18
Subject: Re: DB & LOG Volume layout - new
From: Richard Rhodes <rrhodes AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 07:26:11 -0500
You are absolutely correct - if I loose a lun I loose everything.  And it
HAS happened.

One time, when the TSM db was still on a DMX, we suffered a double disk
failure
which took out a bunch of stuff, including our TSM db.  The DMX was new and
EMC
had set it up and turned it over to us.  It suffered a disk failure but
failed to call home. It
sat like that for several months before a second disk failed.  Why didn't
it dial home? Because
EMC forgot to perform an initial dial-home, which is what triggers their
central support site
that there is a new DMX out in the world.  Our DMX's dial home attempts
were refused!!!!

Also, we've suffered through a bunch of full Clarrion array outages (full
crash of a Clariion).  These
were all microcode bugs (a hdwr problem that microcode wasn't able to
handle).

Agressive  stripping, like most things, is it's own worse enemy.

Rick

             "Allen S. Rout"
             <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
             Sent by: "ADSM:                                            To
             Dist Stor                 ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Manager"                                                   cc
             <[email protected]
             .EDU>                                                 Subject
                                       Re: DB & LOG Volume layout - new

             01/24/2006 05:01
             PM

             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"
             <[email protected]
                   .EDU>

<rrhodes AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM> said:

> [ stripe ]

> So, there you have it . . . another way to set it up.

My neurotic tendencies have prevented me from striping that
aggressively.  I envision one failed RAID taking out... well,
_everything_.

Mine is perhaps excessive caution in a day of hot spares and such.

- Allen S. Rout

personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent
notified that you have received this document in error and that any
review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is
please notify us immediately, and delete the original message.