ADSM-L

Re: DB & LOG Volume layout - new

2006-01-26 14:25:10
Subject: Re: DB & LOG Volume layout - new
From: Dirk Kastens <Dirk.Kastens AT UNI-OSNABRUECK DOT DE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 20:24:40 +0100
Hi,

Tab Trepagnier schrieb:

The bottom line is that I/O Wait time was cut in half.  While expiration
still takes approximately the same time as on the old setup, the reduction
in I/O Wait time means the server has more cycles for other work.  So even
with a heavy workload, the server still provides very fast response time
and can manage dozens of  client sessions while doing expiration and
reclamation at the same time.

That's interesting. I just made some tests on our new server. At first I
defined three big dbvolumes (using raw logical volumes), each on a
separate hdisk (AIX 5.3), and each being mirrored by TSM on another
hdisk. When TSM started up, or when I did an auditdb, only one of the
primary volumes was active at a time, with a read throughput of about
1000 kB/s (measured with topas). Then I defined striped logical volumes
using three hdisks. During startup or an auditdb all three disks were
active at a time, but the read throughput of each disk was degraded to
250 kB/s, what makes 750 kB/s for the whole volume.
That means that the throughput was higher with separated volumes. Or did
I make a mistake?

Regards,
Dirk Kastens