ADSM-L

Re: Migrate TSM Server 4.2.4 on AIX 4.3.3 to 5.3 on Linux Howto (retry)

2005-11-29 16:00:45
Subject: Re: Migrate TSM Server 4.2.4 on AIX 4.3.3 to 5.3 on Linux Howto (retry)
From: Christoph Martin <martin AT UNI-MAINZ DOT DE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 22:00:26 +0100
Allen S. Rout schrieb:

>>The default option is FILEData=None
>
>>It is no option for us to export the file data. We have about 3 hundred AIT
>>tapes with file data.
>
> If you want to retain the backup history now present on your "old" TSM server,
> you will need to export and import the nodes.
>
> You can do this in smaller chunks, if you care to, a node at a time, for
> instance.  There are many ways you might accomplish the transfer;
>
> http://open-systems.ufl.edu/services/NSAM/whitepapers/50ways.html
>
> is my attempt to catalog some of them.
>
> Moving from platform to platform is a Big Deal; don't expect it to be quick or
> trivial, on any axis.  I'd say "Stay on AIX"; 510s aren't that expensive. :)

The decission was to move away from AIX, because we have no sysadmin
knowledge with AIX and the machine grew more and more unmanaged.

The problem that I see now is, that we have only one library. We want to
reuse the library that is now running with the AIX machine on the Linux
machine. I don't have an old and a new library to copy the data between
the old and new server. And I suppose that connecting the library as a
shared library virtually two both servers and then copiing the data will
not help, since that library is still physically only connected to one
server and this server will write and read in its own format, correct?

Some deadlock here .. ;-(

Christoph

Christoph Martin, EDV der Verwaltung, Uni-Mainz, Germany
 Internet-Mail:  Christoph.Martin AT Uni-Mainz DOT DE
  Telefon: +49-6131-3926337