ADSM-L

Re: Migrate TSM Server 4.2.4 on AIX 4.3.3 to 5.3 on Linux Howto (retry)

2005-11-25 11:49:30
Subject: Re: Migrate TSM Server 4.2.4 on AIX 4.3.3 to 5.3 on Linux Howto (retry)
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 11:49:16 -0500
==> On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 16:57:56 +0100, Christoph Martin <martin AT UNI-MAINZ
DOT DE> said:

> help export server says that you can decide wether you want to export the
> node information (Client node definitions) and the node file data too. The
> question is, if I have to export the node file data too, or if I can reuse
> the file data tapes in the new server.

You have to export and import all the data, when moving from one platform to
another.

If you export only the node _definitions_, then you can have one sudden
changeover.  The passwords for the nods will be copied over, and everything in
your TSM universe will do an "initial incremental" at once.

I think this is probably not a good plan. :)

> The default option is FILEData=None

> It is no option for us to export the file data. We have about 3 hundred AIT
> tapes with file data.

If you want to retain the backup history now present on your "old" TSM server,
you will need to export and import the nodes.

You can do this in smaller chunks, if you care to, a node at a time, for
instance.  There are many ways you might accomplish the transfer;

http://open-systems.ufl.edu/services/NSAM/whitepapers/50ways.html

is my attempt to catalog some of them.

Moving from platform to platform is a Big Deal; don't expect it to be quick or
trivial, on any axis.  I'd say "Stay on AIX"; 510s aren't that expensive. :)

- Allen S. Rout