ADSM-L

8 or 6 character

2005-04-07 14:37:40
Subject: 8 or 6 character
From: Otto Schakenbos <oschakenbos AT TELEFLEX DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 20:37:18 +0200
today we became our new 3584 (to replace 2 x 7337) and we are of course
very happy. Now the initial adrenaline shock is over and we stopped
drooling I remembered something about 8 and 6 character labels. The
library currently uses 8 character labels, what happens if, in a
disaster recovery scenario for example,  I need to use a library that
can only read 6 character label. (which is every non-ibm library if i
recall correctly?)
Am I able to read my volumes in such a library or is it a good idea to
switch to 6 character now for compatibility since it is still relatively
easy to do so at this point? (will need to re-label all my shiny new
volumes but that is ok)
I know it has been posted before but can't find it.

thnx

--
Otto Schakenbos
System Administrator