ADSM-L

Re: Backup strategy - confused

2004-10-02 14:34:56
Subject: Re: Backup strategy - confused
From: Ben Bullock <bbullock AT MICRON DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2004 12:37:02 -0600
Sandra,

        This is a voluntary group of TSM admins on a list, not an actual
support line or help desk. You can't coerce anybody to respond to your
questions. I know I float questions out there sometimes that get no
response. I assume it is either because of lack of interest or perhaps
nobody else has seen the same issues.

        I can only speak for myself, but in the case of this question,
what you're asking is a very fundamental question about the way that TSM
behaves: How management classes are set up, how they behave when files
are deleted/changed, how to apply management classes to files, etc.

        These are the TSM basics and to explain them in and e-mail would
be time misspent when they are much better explained in the TSM
documentation. I find that folks in this list love to respond to the
more difficult/undocumented or hard to understand TSM functions, but
typically don't respond to things that can readily be found in the
manuals.

        I would suggest you read up in the "Administrators Guide",
Chapter 12 "Implementing Policies for Client Data", and also in the TSM
client manual for the OS in question: i.e. "Windows - Backup-Archive
Clients Installation and User's Guide" and look for the section
"Creating an include-exclude list"

All the TSM manuals can be found online at:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/tividd/td/tdmktlist.html#Storage

        I know you are new to this and have been thrown into the TSM
world. If you have very critical issues you  ~must~ resolve and are not
getting a response from the list, you should go through IBM support
channels to resolve them.

Best of luck to you. I hope you get up to speed quickly,
Ben