ADSM-L

Re: Backup strategy - confused

2004-10-03 20:00:11
Subject: Re: Backup strategy - confused
From: Steve Harris <Steve_Harris AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 10:01:44 +1000
Well said Ben

Also Sandra,  there are two other issues which might affect you.
In the Western world, where most of the list members live, we have Saturday and
Sunday away from work.  You may have other days off - I am not sure.  The other
is that your time zone, (and mine, here in Australia) is poor for getting quick
on weekends.

Regards

Steve.

>>> bbullock AT MICRON DOT COM 03/10/2004 4:37:02 >>>
Sandra,

        This is a voluntary group of TSM admins on a list, not an actual
support line or help desk. You can't coerce anybody to respond to your
questions. I know I float questions out there sometimes that get no
response. I assume it is either because of lack of interest or perhaps
nobody else has seen the same issues.

        I can only speak for myself, but in the case of this question,
what you're asking is a very fundamental question about the way that TSM
behaves: How management classes are set up, how they behave when files
are deleted/changed, how to apply management classes to files, etc.

        These are the TSM basics and to explain them in and e-mail would
be time misspent when they are much better explained in the TSM
documentation. I find that folks in this list love to respond to the
more difficult/undocumented or hard to understand TSM functions, but
typically don't respond to things that can readily be found in the
manuals.

        I would suggest you read up in the "Administrators Guide",
Chapter 12 "Implementing Policies for Client Data", and also in the TSM
client manual for the OS in question: i.e. "Windows - Backup-Archive
Clients Installation and User's Guide" and look for the section
"Creating an include-exclude list"

All the TSM manuals can be found online at:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/tividd/td/tdmktlist.html#Storage

        I know you are new to this and have been thrown into the TSM
world. If you have very critical issues you  ~must~ resolve and are not
getting a response from the list, you should go through IBM support
channels to resolve them.

Best of luck to you. I hope you get up to speed quickly,
Ben