ADSM-L

Backing up DBs around the globe

2003-12-07 12:11:56
Subject: Backing up DBs around the globe
From: "Bleicher, Thomas" <bleicher AT NETZLINK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 18:11:11 +0100
We have a client who wants to back up his databases (MS SQL
and others) from one site to another site (location of TSM-server)
in another town a few hundred kilometers away. The connection
will be a 100-MBit VPN-tunnel. So if one site is lost completely,
the backups and the TSM-server would be ready for restore at
the other site.

So far this seems ok (disagreeing opinions appreciated :).

Now it seems more likely this other town will end up (or rather
down) in Australia. Has anyone experiences with medium-to-high
volume backups over a global distance?

No reliable numbers are available; I guess the bigest DB size is
somewhere in the range of 10-50 GB.
Platform will be Windows, TSM version will be the best I can get.

Thank you for your time.

Thomas Bleicher
Netzlink Informationstechnik GmbH