ADSM-L

Re: Backing up DBs around the globe

2003-12-12 21:49:44
Subject: Re: Backing up DBs around the globe
From: Steven Pemberton <stevep AT IBK.COM DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 13:46:22 +1100
On Monday 08 December 2003 04:11, Bleicher, Thomas wrote:

> Now it seems more likely this other town will end up (or rather
> down) in Australia. Has anyone experiences with medium-to-high
> volume backups over a global distance?
>
> No reliable numbers are available; I guess the bigest DB size is
> somewhere in the range of 10-50 GB.
> Platform will be Windows, TSM version will be the best I can get.

Have you considered saving the DB backup to a local file device class, then
later simply copy the DB backup file to Oz?

You could also compress the DB backup file before sending it around the world.

If you're feeling brave, you might also consider using "rsync" to send only
the binary differential compared to yesterday's DB backup.

Also, Full (weekly) + Incremental (daily) DB backups may be a good idea due to
your bandwidth constraints.

Regards,
Steven P.

--
Steven Pemberton
Senior Enterprise Management Consultant

Mobile: +61/0 418 335 136 | Phone: +61/3 9820 5811 | Fax: +61/3 9820 9907
Level 1, 11 Queens Road, Melbourne, Victoria, 3004, Australia
http://www.senetas.com.au | http://www.ibk.com.au | http://www.datum.com.au