ADSM-L

Re: backspace in Linux dsmadmc

2003-05-15 18:55:53
Subject: Re: backspace in Linux dsmadmc
From: Paul Ripke <stixpjr AT BIGPOND.NET DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 08:55:29 +1000
On Friday, May 16, 2003, at 07:14 Australia/Sydney, Bob Booth - UIUC
wrote:

The problem is with xterm.  It worked ok for a while at one patch
level, then
I applied a newer patch, and it broke again.

For a time, I had fixed the problem with the xmodmap command in my
.xinitrc,
but noticed that it totally messes up the backspace for mozilla.  I
will try
to find the patch level that had resolve the problem, since it is
broken
again for me.  I will forward it on to you.

bob

It's all in the configuration :)

I have the following in my .Xdefaults file (and heaps more, but...):

XTerm*VT100*translations:               #override \
        <Key>Delete:                    string(0x7f) \n\
        <Key>apLineDel:                 string(0x7f) \n\
        <Key>Prior:                             scroll-back(1,halfpage)
\n\
        <Key>Next:                              scroll-forw(1,halfpage)

Which is probably *not* what you want, but shows what can be done.
Although
I've never bothered spending the necessary time to investigate, it would
appear that dsmadmc does not pay attention to stty settings, and
requires
0x08 aka ^H to work as backspace, *except* on certain prompts (eg. the
built-in pager prompt). I've also noticed that the likes of ssh can
mangle
command keys and stty settings. All a real PITA.

Cheers,
--
Paul Ripke
Unix/OpenVMS/TSM/DBA