ADSM-L

Re: backspace in Linux dsmadmc

2003-05-19 09:03:14
Subject: Re: backspace in Linux dsmadmc
From: "Adam J. Boyer" <Adam.J.Boyer AT FRB DOT GOV>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 09:02:43 -0400
Hi Remco,

The "Konsole" application in KDE allows you to set the terminal emulation.
If you set it to "VT420PC", the backspace works as expected.  To make this
change, on the Menubar, go to Settings >> Keyboard >> VT420PC.

adam

                      Remco Post
                      <r.post AT SARA DOT NL>         To:      ADSM-L AT
VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                      Sent by: "ADSM:          cc:
                      Dist Stor                Subject: Re: backspace in Linux
dsmadmc
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      T.EDU>

                      05/15/2003 05:02
                      PM
                      Please respond
                      to "ADSM: Dist
                      Stor Manager"

On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 04:08:28PM -0400, Richard Sims wrote:

> Remco - Your Unix 'stty' settings are probably at the root of this.
>         Do 'stty -a' or the equivalent and check your "erase" spec.

Which is intresting. Both on console and in xterm erase is ^?. I suspect
this is some sort of bug somewhere in some Linux thingy that has to do
with X, rather than something to do with dsmadmc. Now I was hoping for
somebody tot tell me that he/she tested this on eg. RedHat and found
that things do work over there, or not.

I assume that dsmadmc does part of it's terminal handling itself rather
than leaving that to the os. Erase (backspace) does work as expected in
X when I enter my username/password, it breaks once I'm on the TSM
prompt...

> Different flavors of Unix do this stuff differently, so check your man
page.
> (This stuff is 1970s and very ugly.)  Doing 'stty ek' or 'stty sane' may
fix
> for you.  That which is called the Backspace key on keyboards may
actually
> be generating a Delete - and to further confuse things, may be mapped to
> something else.

Which is why I told you all about my x-keymapping etc...

--

Remco