ADSM-L

Re: 3494/3590 and NAS backups

2003-04-10 14:55:14
Subject: Re: 3494/3590 and NAS backups
From: bbullock <bbullock AT MICRON DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 12:54:43 -0600
        We have the same library as you. We have also wanted to use native NDMP
for our filers, but are waiting for the "file level backup/restore" holy grail.
Up to this point, we are backing them up over NFS. Not the most efficient, but
it works as we have a "beefy isolated dedicated network" for backup traffic.

        I floated the same question out here a few months back and heard
nothing. In reading the documents, it sounded like you used to need to attach a
local tape drive to the NetApp, but in recent versions, it talks about
configuring a "path" to the drive and using the drives already defined to TSM.
But then the NDMP backup is still being funneled through the TSM server to get
to the drive, right?

        From the documents I read, it sounds like to get it to work with the
data flowing directly to the tape drives, your TSM server has to be part of a
SAN. Ours is not part of a SAN, so I'm not sure how we would hook our NetApps
to our TSM server to gain the benefits of NDMP.

Ben