ADSM-L

Re: 3494/3590 and NAS backups

2003-04-10 18:30:41
Subject: Re: 3494/3590 and NAS backups
From: "Thomas A. La Porte" <tlaporte AT ANIM.DREAMWORKS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 15:30:10 -0700
On Thu, 10 Apr 2003, bbullock wrote:

>        We have the same library as you. We have also wanted to
>use native NDMP for our filers, but are waiting for the "file
>level backup/restore" holy grail. Up to this point, we are
>backing them up over NFS. Not the most efficient, but it works
>as we have a "beefy isolated dedicated network" for backup
>traffic.

That is how we are doing it as well, but with a dozen filers and
40+ volumes, it has become a bit of an administrative hassle,
given that these encompass 3000+ automounted directories.

>        I floated the same question out here a few months back
>and heard nothing. In reading the documents, it sounded like you
>used to need to attach a local tape drive to the NetApp, but in
>recent versions, it talks about configuring a "path" to the
>drive and using the drives already defined to TSM. But then the
>NDMP backup is still being funneled through the TSM server to
>get to the drive, right?

My understanding, based on the TSM Admin. Guide, is that if we
attach our filers to the SAN (which we are most willing to do),
then we can allow our TSM library manager server still control
the drives, and share them with the NDMP backups.

>        From the documents I read, it sounds like to get it to
>work with the data flowing directly to the tape drives, your TSM
>server has to be part of a SAN. Ours is not part of a SAN, so
>I'm not sure how we would hook our NetApps to our TSM server to
>gain the benefits of NDMP.

Ah, our TSM server is hooked in to the SAN (well, to be honest,
it's all there *is* of our SAN, the TSM server(s) and the 3590
tape drives), so we're covered there. We figure on adding FC
cards to the Filers so that they belong to the SAN, at which
point we seem to have all of the pieces *except* the knowledge of
whether or not SCSI libraries are the only supported libraries
for NDMP backups.

 -- Tom

Thomas A. La Porte, DreamWorks SKG
<mailto:tlaporte AT anim.dreamworks DOT com>