ADSM-L

Another unload/load data point.

2002-12-09 09:58:36
Subject: Another unload/load data point.
From: asr AT UFL DOT EDU
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 09:57:43 -0500
My TSM db had never been unloaded and reloaded when I set out to do it this
past thanksgiving.

I've got my DB on 9GB SSA volumes, one spindle per logical volume, one
filesystem per lv, one volume per filesystem.  4-cpu power3 node (?) Wide
winterhawk SP node?  I get tangled up in the hardware numbers.  4GB ram.

It began at ~45GB used.

Unload took 10 hours

Loadformat took 2 minutes

Load took 6 hours (!) I was expecting quite a bit more.

Currently down to ~30GB.

DB backup times cut by (shocker) roughly 1/3.  Expiration dramatically
faster.  Cache hit is at 99.49, had been down around 98.

I am interested to see how much faster another unload will run.  Maybe (sigh)
Christmas day.

If I can get them down to 12 hours total, I'll be much happier.  Then I can
think about scheduling it twice a year or something.  When I thought it was
going to take ~24, that was a Problem With a Captial P.

- Allen S. Rout