ADSM-L

Re: Journaling

2002-11-07 15:13:22
Subject: Re: Journaling
From: Pete Tanenhaus <tanenhau AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 15:09:41 -0500
As stated in my previous append, we can't support nonlocal drives because
the Win32 api used to monitor the file system
doesn't support them.

Supporting nonlocal file systems isn't impossible (most things aren't), it
just would involve considerable development effort
and it's up to the "powers that be" to decide if it's worth the investment
(feel free to lobby your IBM rep to submit a requirement).

As to the usefulness of Journal Based Backup, I'd like to think to it does
provides some value in environments with very large
local file systems and moderate amounts of change activity.

As with most functions, Journal Based Backup doesn't provide every possible
desired feature possible, but we did the best
with what we had to work with.

Pete Tanenhaus
Tivoli Storage Solutions Software Development
email: tanenhau AT us.ibm DOT com
tieline: 320.8778, external: 607.754.4213

"Those who refuse to challenge authority are condemned to conform to it"

---------------------- Forwarded by Pete Tanenhaus/San Jose/IBM on

"Gill, Geoffrey L." <GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT SAIC DOT COM>@VM.MARIST.EDU> on
11/07/2002
02:38:36 PM

Sent by:    "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>