ADSM-L

Re: monthly backup

2002-10-29 10:27:20
Subject: Re: monthly backup
From: Halvorsen Geirr Gulbrand <gehal AT WMDATA DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 16:20:37 +0100
Hi Michelle

It depends...

If you're using a TDP for this database, I would recommend making an extra
opt-file for TDP, with a different node-name, make a special management
class to use for this node, make a new schedule for the new node, and just
backup with the new opt-file once pr. month to the new mgmtclass (backup
copy group).

If you're backing up the database as files (the database is offline, or
dumped to files before backing up), you might as well use archive. All you
have to do is to check your archive copy group in the management class you
are using (check opt-file or client option set for
include/exclude/mgmtclass), and once a month do an archive of the data you
want.
Now there are other ways as well - such as backup-sets, provided you are not
using a TDP to backup your database. And others might have other ideas.

To figure out the best way to do this, consider the above, database size,
and database type. Your client might have other wants and needs to consider
as well.

Just my thoughts on the issue.

Rgds.
Geirr G. Halvorsen