ADSM-L

Re: TSM 5.1.5 for Mac OS X; serious issues still remain

2002-10-14 23:32:09
Subject: Re: TSM 5.1.5 for Mac OS X; serious issues still remain
From: Mark Stapleton <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 22:31:39 -0500
From: Dave Schroeder [mailto:das AT doit.wisc DOT edu]
> I've recently taken a look at the new TSM 5.1.5 client for Mac OS/Mac
> OS X. Some serious issues still remain, and I'd like to know IBM's
> official position on these issues:

[snippage]

> I have called in to IBM about this countless times, and painstakingly
> detailed these glaring problems, epsecially the Scheduler issue,
> several times. What do we have to do to get these issues solved?

Get Mac machines a measurable share of today's server market.

Virtually all of the machines that a business bothers to backup are servers.
In all the years that I've worked with TSM, the number of Mac servers I've
seen in all of the server rooms I've been in I could count on one hand. With
the workload that Tivoli has just supporting major server OSs like Windows,
AIX, Solaris, etc., it is not surprising that Mac development doesn't get
much in the way of priority.

Like most other businesses, Tivoli (and IBM) go where the money is; this
being true, it seems unlikely that the Mac issues will be resolved soon.

Certified TSM consultant
Certified AIX system engineer
MCSE