ADSM-L

Re: diskpool performance

2002-07-24 16:09:05
Subject: Re: diskpool performance
From: Orville Lantto <orville.lantto AT DTREND DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 15:02:32 -0500
Yes, there is overhead on tape, but the tape drives will theoretically
write at rated write speed TIMES THE COMPRESSION RATIO.  I have seen a
sustained 60 MB/second into a 3590 tape drive.  It required high powered
hardware and significant tuning to get this rate.

Such high performance  is only attainable if the processor, disk,
ethernet, or ?? will also sustain this rate.  Performance is limited by
the slowest component.

Your parity of performance between disk and tape storage pools does not
surprise me.  Something other than the disk or tape is constraining your
system.  The rate you are seeing will give the first hint as to that
bottleneck.

Orville L. Lantto
Datatrend Technologies, Inc.  (http://www.datatrend.com)
IBM Premier Business Partner
121 Cheshire Lane, Suite 700
Minnetonka, MN 55305
Email: Orville.Lantto AT datatrend DOT com

"Pearson, Dave" <DCPearson AT SNOPUD DOT COM>
07/24/02 01:31 PM