ADSM-L

Re: Deleting a portion of a filespace

2002-06-06 10:05:12
Subject: Re: Deleting a portion of a filespace
From: "William F. Colwell" <bcolwell AT DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 10:03:15 -0400
Luke, it can be done but it is a multi step process involving both
the server and the client.  Do this before the data is deleted from the client.

1. In the server make a new mgmtclass called DELETE_NOW.
Set the backup copygroup numbers to their lowest allowed values -
1,0,0,0 (vere, rete, verd, reto).  Activate the policyset.
2.  Go to the client and add an include statement -
 include /data/mars02lib/.../* DELETE_NOW
3. Run an incremental.
4. delete the data from the client.
5. run an incremental
6. run expire inventory

Do you think your done? Not yet!  This process only cleans up
files that still existed on the client.  Files that were deleted from the
client were not rebound.  To clean them up, do a SQL select to find
the path and name.  Turn the output into a script to make dummy
versions of these files on the client.  Then go back to step 3.  You can
also get the names from DSMC on the client -
q ba /data/mars02lib/* - su=y -ina >out.file

Good luck,

Bill

At 07:39 PM 6/5/2002, you wrote:
>Hi All,
>Client version: 4.2.1.0
>Client OS: Solaris 5.6
>Server OS: Solaris 8
>TSM Server Version: 4.2.1.15
>
>We have a NFS mounted NetApp filer that retains their critical data.
>The data is is library with a number of different subdirectories for
>each project.  They require we keep all data forever until they specify
>it may be deleted.  They've asked us to set up verexists 9999 and
>verdeleted 9999.  Being TSM views the mount "/data" as one filespace,
>I'm wondering if we can purge a portion of that filespace when they
>approve it.  For example a subdirectory may be /data/mars02lib/...
>After the project has been terminated they would like us to delete the
>mars02lib but still retain all of the other libraries under /data.  Any
>suggestions/advice would be highly appreciated.  Thanks!
>
>Luke Dahl
>NASA-Jet Propulsion Laboratory
>818-354-7117

Bill Colwell