ADSM-L

Re: Ordering license upgrades

2002-05-17 16:27:29
Subject: Re: Ordering license upgrades
From: Nikolai Sonin <nfsonin AT ESIGROUP DOT ORG>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 13:27:47 -0700
Nikolai Sonin
System Architect
ESI Group
28381 Encina Drive Suite 100
Winters CA, 95694-9007
530-795-0200 ext. 235

Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
05/17/2002 12:35 PM

        To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
        cc:
        Subject:        Ordering license upgrades

We have a TSM 4.2.1.9 server running under OS/390. We are about to order
more client licenses. The last time we did this IBM and/or Tivoli required
us to tell them how the new licenses would be divided among different
platforms: how many for Windows NT, how many for AIX, and so on. The
charge per client license is the same regardless of operating system. The
'register license' command does not provide any means for distinguishing
between Windows NT licenses, AIX licenses, and so on. Why in the world
do we need to provide platform information in order to get more client
licenses?

So that Tivoli can know what clients are being used the most in customer
sites.  This allows them to get the right mix of support people and what
clients should be patched and tested first.  It also helps Tivoli
developers develop business cases for improving clients.  The Novel client
is not as popular as the NT client, and look where all the development
dollars are going.