ADSM-L

Re: Is there a way to email notifications in TSM?

2002-03-22 15:56:03
Subject: Re: Is there a way to email notifications in TSM?
From: "Mr. Lindsay Morris" <lmorris AT SERVERGRAPH DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 15:37:58 -0500
Just want to set the record straight before misconceptions spread:

1. Servergraph/TSM does a GREAT DEAL MORE than send email;

2. For a single TSM server, the price is MUCH less than what John was quoted
for his large and complex site;

3. Every TSM-er has to build a monitoring system just to survive, and
indeed, there are fairly easy ways to do this.  But it's hard to show TRENDS
OVER TIME, like Servergraph does. And that's IMPORTANT. Information without
context is often useless.

For example, maybe your CPU is at 95% for the last 5 minutes. Is that a
problem, or not? You don't know. Maybe it's just a momentary spike.  You
need to see it all through last night's backups, and today's migration /
expiration / etc, to decide if you really need to buy more CPU horsepower.

And it's the same for every other measurement: NIC utilization, tape library
speed, client throughput...  You can't make decisions without some context.

So: it's not THAT expensive, and it's not something you can easily write.
We spent a lot of time building Servergraph/TSM, mainly to help promote an
excellent product, Tivoli Storage Manager.

Just to set the record straight.
Thanks.

John Bremer wrote:
> You're right there are some expensive solutions.  I believe ServerGraph
has
> the e-mail notification capability, but in our environment we were quoted
> $35,000 for the initial installation, plus 15% maintenance.  TDS for SMA
> does not have e-mail notice capablity.
>
> If you check the ADSM.org archive you will find historical responses to
> this query which give details on query the activity logs and generating
> your own e-mail notices.
>
> We use a DB2 database loaded every morning after backups, which we query
> and generate mail from.
>
> So I recommend home-grown the best, least expensive, solution.

Mr. Lindsay Morris
Mr. Lindsay Morris
CEO
Applied System Design