ADSM-L

Re: dsmfmt question

2001-11-22 12:26:50
Subject: Re: dsmfmt question
From: Zlatko Krastev/ACIT <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 19:25:35 +0200
May I try to contribute to this discussion.
Raw logical volumes ought to be faster than a single large file because
there is no JFS overhead. What if the disk keeping the jfslog volume is
very busy. And there were many threads on this list regarding TSM log
pinnouts, overflows, etc. Have in mind that JFS is using very similar
methology (but you cannot issue Q LOG).
There is no need to calculate exactly how large the file has to be. And
there is no need to use dsmfmt. "DEF VOL <stgpool> /dev/r<lv_name>" and the
server will recognise the size automagically.
With JFS you waste space on superblock, i-nodes and jfslog volume. Raw
volumes are raw - everything is up to you (and TSM) except LVM header (512
bytes). And if you are greedy you can use even the first block. LVM will
complain on some operations but will not overwrite it.
You do not have control over file(s) placement within the filesystem (and
disk). You can control intra-policy of each logical volume and place most
used closer to disk middle and rarely used on the ends. You can control
which logical volume to be spread across the disks and which not to be
stripped. This can improve performance.
There is no need to care about filesystem mount/unmount, mount order,
fsck, etc.
Using specific volume type (I use 'mklv -t tsm_db', tsm_log and tsm_vol)
you can designate logical volume usage. And even after the disk is attached
to another system you can easily recognise each volume usage (when LV name
on imported VG conflicts with existing varied on LV name AIX assigns lvXX
to it).

I though several times why not to use /dev/rhdiskXX but I see to many
obstacles and nearly not benefit
the disk device name will change on any devices reorganisation, i.e. SCSI
disk goes in another hot-swap bay and gets another ID, alternate path with
different adapter gets new device name
disk is not signed and someone can overwrite its data assigning it to a
volume group.
Attachment to other system gives no information what was the previous
usage of the disk.
Performance benefit from removal of LVM overhead is not so significant to
pay all problems considered above.

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

"Loon, E.J. van - SPLXM" <Eric-van.Loon AT KLM DOT COM> on 21.11.2001 16:53:38