ADSM-L

Re: Archives vrs Backup Sets

2001-11-22 12:27:00
Subject: Re: Archives vrs Backup Sets
From: Zlatko Krastev/ACIT <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 19:25:45 +0200
Joe,

You can generate backupsets they really do not re-transmit any data from
the node. Data ought to be on the server and is taken from the primary
pool.
If you generate backupsets on regular basis they can give you features
similar to archives but not the same.
Yes, backupset can produces new set of tapes for each node which is similar
to collocation. However with collocation you can put data from several
nodes on a single tape if your pool is constrained in scratch volumes. This
is impossible with backupsets. And if you generate backupsets for each
filespace one-by-one you waste even more tapes (similar to filespace
collocation but again with the remark above).
The main idea behind backupsets is to allow you to restore without server
involvement. So only active files are included.
Backupsets are NOT part of any storage pool, be it primary or copy pool.
They are bound to device class and occupy library volumes. Within TSM
database they are treated same as DB backups and DB snapshots. There is
entry in volume history and DB for what this volume is used, when is was
created and when it will expire, i.e. would be freed. You can define
separate device class or use existing one for backupsets.
I hope this answers to those your questions.

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

Joe Cascanette <Joe.Cascanette AT CUMIS DOT COM> on 22.11.2001 16:05:49