ADSM-L

What Happens When TSM Starts

2001-10-25 22:28:02
Subject: What Happens When TSM Starts
From: Andy Carlson <andyc AT ANDYC.CARENET DOT ORG>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 21:25:06 -0500
I would like to know more about what actually happens when TSM
starts.  We see that it takes 2-3 hours to start sometimes.  Here is an
example from today.  We upgraded to 4.1.4.4 yesterday, and apparently
put us above the 6 default 256MB segments of memory allowed to a
process.  Talking to level 2, I had to patch the dsmserv binary to
alllow 8 of those segments.  When it crashed at about 5:00PM this
afternoon, it took maybe 10 minutes to come up.  2 hours later, I took
it down to start it with the patched dsmserv, so we could make it
through the night without running out of memory.  Well, it has been 1
hour and 40 minutes, and it is still not up.  I know from previous
experience the it will eventually come up.  I always assumed the it was
the fullness of the log that determined how long TSM would take to come
up.  But, during that 2 hours, not much should have happened.  If a TSM
developer wants to discuss it in depth, but needs me to sign an NDA, I
would be more than willing to do that.  My problem is, my users don't
understand why one time bouncing TSM takes 10 minutes, and the next it
takes 3 hours (that is the longest it has taken to this point).  Here
is some relevant info about my system (more can be supplied if needed):

AIX 4.3.3 ML08
TSM 4.1.4.4
Database: 134GB striped across 4 36GB SSA volumes, 27.7% full, mirrored
to 4 more volumes
Log: 4860MB striped across to 36GB volumes, mirrored to 2 other volumes
RS/6000 S7A with 4 processors, 4GB memory

That's all I can think of right now.  Thanks for any information that
can be provided.

Andy Carlson                             |\      _,,,---,,_
andyc AT andyc.carenet DOT org            ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_
BJC Health System                       |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'
St. Louis, Missouri                    '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)
Cat Pics: http://andyc.dyndns.org/animal.html