ADSM-L

copypools using tsm server to server

2001-08-03 14:18:11
Subject: copypools using tsm server to server
From: Steve Bennett <steve_bennett AT ADMIN.STATE.AK DOT US>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 10:21:34 -0800
Fellow *SMers,

I have two TSM 4.1.3 servers in different cities and would like to use
themn each for offsite storage for the other. Bandwidth considerations
aside I have some other questions based upon things I have read in the
server to server redbook.
This can get a bit convoluted so get ready to wade through my verbage.

1) The book indicates that the virtual vols on the target server are
only deleted at the request of the source server and at no time will the
archive retention of the target server management class cause the
virtual vol archive to be deleted. Have any of you verified this?

2) I would like to have server-1 backup it's primary stgpools to target
server-2 and vice versa. Given that all primary pools for server-1
reside on server-1 is there any reason I shouldn't let the copypool data
from source server-1 comingle with the data in the primary stgpools on
target server-2?

One additional question that might be related to #1 is that at one time
I had some server to server virtual vols defined for primary pool
migration. That has since been abandoned and some of the server to
server and node defs deleted. However there are some parts of the defs
that I cannot delete because it says there are still inventory
references, in particular the other server def. I suspect that because
part of the defs were already deleted there is no way for the source
server to tell the target server to delete the archives and when I try
to do it manually it slaps my hand. Is there any way to delete those
inventory references so I can delete the other server def?

TIA

--
Steve Bennett, (907) 465-5783
Steve Bennett, (907) 465-5783