ADSM-L

Re: Scratch Tape Problem

2001-02-21 15:44:35
Subject: Re: Scratch Tape Problem
From: Tectrade Computers <Alex.Fagioli AT TECTRADE.CO DOT UK>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 20:45:16 +0000
Hi Alan

I would say your problem is more than likely that  you check your new tapes
in rather than running the label libv command. TSM would have thought that
these tapes have been previously labelled but could not read them.

You need to check them out then relabel them again

Regards

Alex

                    "Wells, Alan"
                    <alan.wells@A        To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    TTWS.COM>            cc:
                    Sent by:             Subject:     Scratch Tape Problem
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"
                    <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MA
                    RIST.EDU>

                    21/02/2001
                    20:19
                    Please
                    respond to
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"

We have had some problems with a drive in our library.
After putting the tape online TSM began putting tapes in to write data.
The drive returned I/O errors and TSM responed by placing each tape in a
private status.  We started receiving errors stating that there were not
enough
scratch tapes.  After runing a q libvol I have discover that all tapes that
should
be in scratch (449 to be exact) are in private status.

Does anyone have a good idea on how I can get these 449 tapes back to a
scratch status.
I can run  UPDATE LIBV LB10.0.0.7 CAA### STATUS=SCRATCH and restore each
tape
one by one but this takes forever.  I did get enough tapes back to scratch
to be able to work
but need a faster method.

I am not familiar with writing scripts as of now.  I am currently learning
to be able to automate
a few things.

Thanks,
Alan Wells
alan.wells AT attws DOT com <mailto:alan.wells AT attws DOT com>