ADSM-L

HSM age factor

2001-01-09 14:42:44
Subject: HSM age factor
From: "Matthew A. Bacchi" <mbacchi AT BTV.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 14:42:49 -0500
Hello all,

We are attempting to understand the age factor parameter of HSM a little
better.  I know that the age factor is used to prioritize the files eligible
for migration.  Is there a way to make HSM look at the last access time of a
file before it marks it as an eligible candidate to migrate?

For example, we wish to keep files on the local filesystem for 90 days before
having them migrate.  Can this be done with just the age factor?  My
understanding of the age factor parameter says that this is not possible.
Therefore I'm thinking I need to employ a script that will modify the EXCLUDE
list until a file hasn't been used for 90 days.  Then when I remove it from
the exclude list, it should be migrated as an eligible file.

Does anyone have any insight or opinions on this?

Thanks,
-Matt Bacchi
Matt Bacchi                              mbacchi AT us.ibm DOT com
IBM Global Services                     mbacchi AT btv.ibm DOT com
Dept. F6TG, MD Filesystems/Internet          (802) 769-4072
ADSM & AFS/DFS Backup                        (tie) 446-4072