ADSM-L

Re: HSM age factor

2001-01-09 15:57:27
Subject: Re: HSM age factor
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 15:57:40 -0500
>We are attempting to understand the age factor parameter of HSM a little
>better.  I know that the age factor is used to prioritize the files eligible
>for migration.  Is there a way to make HSM look at the last access time of a
>file before it marks it as an eligible candidate to migrate?
>
>For example, we wish to keep files on the local filesystem for 90 days before
>having them migrate.  Can this be done with just the age factor?  My
>understanding of the age factor parameter says that this is not possible.
>
>Therefore I'm thinking I need to employ a script that will modify the EXCLUDE
>list until a file hasn't been used for 90 days.  Then when I remove it from
>the exclude list, it should be migrated as an eligible file.
>
>Does anyone have any insight or opinions on this?

Matt - It is the Access time that is used in the Age Factor.
       You can use the dsmmigfs command to set the Factor, which will
guide migration choices.  The specification is relative, not precise like
saying "90 days", as the need for space governs migration and unless the
file system is very capacious, we really don't have much choice about
migration when a space crunch is at hand: space needs to be made, and
migration must run.  If you did have the space, you could simply run
dsmmigrate via the Unix 'find' command, for example, to every day migrate
files not accessed for N days.

   Richard Sims, BU