ADSM-L

Re: how is a weekly FULL bkup scheduled?

2015-10-04 17:26:31
Subject: Re: how is a weekly FULL bkup scheduled?
From: Serge Gaudet/EIG [mailto:Serge.Gaudet AT ECONOMICALINSURANCE DOT COM]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
I am of the opinion the "selective" makes sense to backup files that are in
an area normally excluded by the incremental process (via your
include-exclude definitions).  Have you ever considered Collocation?  At
least for your most critical server?  Just a suggestion.  Furthermore, a
server executed/generated archive or backupset would probably be better.
(avoiding the bottleneck... the network - hence executable during the day
as opposed to smack in the middle of the backup window).  I would just
perform incrementals otherwise.

What can I say:  Everywhere I went, network was always the primary issue.
I quickly learned the cost of using it, and learned to become effective
considering the constraint.

Serge Gaudet
Consultant, CMI

                    Tim Melly
                    <Tim.Melly.B@        To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    BAYER.COM>           cc:
                    Sent by:             Subject:     Re: how is a weekly
FULL bkup scheduled?
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"
                    <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MA
                    RIST.EDU>

                    31/10/2000
                    12:59 PM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"

We recently had a "minor" Data Center fire and I had to restore several
Novell
volumes. The Novell servers had been incrementally backed up for two years,
the
restoration times were horrendous (12 GB in 18 hours). The tapepool was 270
DLT
tapes and almost all of the tapes were mounted during the restore. We've
since
implemented every other weekend "selective/full" backups of our Novell
servers.
There are situations were "selective" backups make sense.

FYI *SMs, the Novell client does not always restore the file with the "long
filename". We had a significant amount of files which we restored to the
DOS
file name not the "long filename". We had to manually move the files to the
correct location when that location could be determined. Tivoli is looking
into
the issue.

Regards, Tim Melly

"DDA.RFC-822=ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU/P=Internet/A= /C=us" on 10/31/2000
12:00:55 PM
Please respond to "DDA.RFC-822=ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU/P=Internet/A= /C=us"
@
X400