ADSM-L

Running with only one drive

2015-10-04 17:26:31
Subject: Running with only one drive
From: Walker, Lesley R [mailto:lesley.walker AT eds DOT com]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Due to circumstances that I won't bore you all with, I am going to have to
implement a small TSM server with a DLT auto-changer that has only one tape
drive.  This is to a be temporary situation but I want it to be sustainable
"just in case".

The total amount of data to be backed up is easily able to be fitted into
the disk space that I have available, so my plan is to have all primary
storage in one diskpool, and a copypool on tape.

Do I need to worry about the diskpool space becoming fragmented as old data
expires?
What's the best way to set up the diskpool - should I create multiple
filesystem volumes in the space, or use raw disk volumes, or does it make no
real difference?
Would it be better to use a standard random-access diskpool, or should I
create a sequential-on-disk pool?

Performance is not much of a concern due to the small amount of data, I just
want to make sure it can be done.

The specifics are:
3.7.3 on Solaris
9GB (total) to be backed up from multiple clients
(not expected to grow at all)
2 versions
4 x 9GB disks for diskpool

--