ADSM-L

Re: Storage pool volumes on a network drive?

2000-01-14 09:43:50
Subject: Re: Storage pool volumes on a network drive?
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 09:43:50 -0500
I've never tried stgpool volumes to a network drive.  But I have done DB
backups to a networked drive under NT, a while ago.
I remember there were permissions issues I had to deal with.

First check to see if YOU can write something to that network drive - if
your id can do it, then it's probably just a permission thing.  By default,
everybody who mounts a network drive has READ access, but not WRITE access.

The ADSM Server is a service.  If you look at Start/settings/control
panel/Services, and select the ADSM service, click STARTUP. You will see
that the ADSM service is running under the SYSTEM id.  By default that ID
does not have permission to write on a network-attached drive.

You have to create an ID with permission to write on that drive.  Then
change the ADSM service to run under that account instead of SYSTEM so that
it will have permission to write on that drive.

That's a general description of what I did, it's been a long time and I
don't remember any more than that!  ANd this was just two WinNT machines on
the same wire; might be different still if you are in a NOvell network, I
don't know.

But maybe that will give you a starting point.

Wanda Prather
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think" -
Scott Adams/Dilbert