ADSM-L

AW: Export Server

2000-01-14 08:10:45
Subject: AW: Export Server
From: sal Salak Juraj <sal AT KEBA.CO DOT AT>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 14:10:45 +0100
Hello,

more than a year ago
I exported an OS2 server and importedNT Server.
As far as I can remember it worked just fine.

I did not export data this way (FILEDATA=NO),
I moved all data by the means of EXPORT/IMPORT NODE.

The reason is obvious: all EXPORT/IMPORT´s commands
are not restartable, so if you export filedata=all,
which can take days, and encounters any problem,
which is probable considering this working time,
you have to begin from the start again.
EXPORT Node concerns much less data, is easier
to repeat and better manageable.

Because the Import Server
imported all nodes definitions,
the Import Node command had to be equipped
with ReplaceDefs=YES  parameter
(check for correct syntax, please).

Do not know more why, but I occasionally ended with doubled
filespace definitions, such as
        MyFilespace             (empty, created by Import Server)
        MyFilespace2    (containing data, created by Import Node)
But this does not pose any problem.
        Delete Filespace MyFilespace followed by
        Rename Filespace MyFilespace2  MyFilespace
corrected this (again, check for the correct syntax).

Conclusion: the hardest part of this procedure was to
change that many tapes in tape drives.

Bye
Salak Juraj

KEBA AG