ADSM-L

Re: ADSM 3.1.2.50

2000-01-05 10:40:58
Subject: Re: ADSM 3.1.2.50
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2000 10:40:58 -0500
>> But from experience 3.1 2.50 works great with AIX.
>Is there a consensus on that?
>I remember a warning from Nathan King back on Dec 28th.

Richard - I looked back in the ADSM-L archives about that.
          Nathan's ADSM was suffering:

  ANR9999D pkthread.c(612): Thread creation failed; rc=11.

I just delved into the AIX doc regarding thread creation,
the pthread_create() function.  Code 11 in AIX is EAGAIN,
which the function doc says is:

  The system does not have sufficient resources to create another thread.

which suggests some problem in use of the AIX Thread Table.
If this happens to anyone, use 'pstat -T', 'pstat -A' and related
commands to see what's going on in the system at the time.
The Thread Table is usually very large, so running out of room
in it should not be a problem.
A look at the APARs database shows ADSM having this problem in
the past due to a server memory leak, which should not be
happening in contemporary levels of the server (should it?).
If this occurs with ADSM not having been up for a very long time,
then the cause should not be ADSM, in probably not enough time for
a leak to make a big puddle.

    Richard Sims, BU