ADSM-L

Re: Question regarding rename filespace

1999-07-08 07:12:12
Subject: Re: Question regarding rename filespace
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 07:12:12 -0400
>Before using ADSM backup again he wanted to preserve the
>files in 2 certain filespaces backed up on the previous system. I
>considered renaming the filespaces. Reading the ref manual I couldn't
>figure out what happens to these renamed filespaces when the ADSM
>client doesn't find it on the node. Will all files in these filespace
>be marked deleted? Or will the client ignore them?

Renaming the filespaces is an excellent way to achieve this.
As to expiration:  The guiding principal is that if you don't do a
backup of a given filespace name, ADSM won't do any expiration processing
on it...it sits there, as-is, indefinitely.  This is an advantage in your
case, but can be the bane of ADSM administrators, as PC users rename
volumes and/or eliminate file systems such that the previously backed up
data takes up space in ADSM forever thereafter until special action is
taken by the admin.
   Richard Sims, BU