ADSM-L

Why Exclude MSDOS.SYS?

1999-05-24 18:43:29
Subject: Why Exclude MSDOS.SYS?
From: Eric LEWIS <eric.lewis AT CCMAIL.ADP.WISC DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 16:43:29 -0600
     Hi:  The standard excludes that come with the version 3 Windows 32 bit
     client contain an EXCLUDE MSDOS.SYS.

     This file is what Windows 98 uses to determine in which directory to
     look for the executables to launch during boot.  So why is it
     excluded?

     If I create a repair directory WINREP and load a small Windows 98 into
     it, add an ADSM client, then do a full restore of into the same drive,
     then ADSM should bring back the original Windows 98.

     MSDOS.SYS should be restored over the top of the MSDOS.SYS installed
     when the repair system was installed ... and then a reboot should go
     to the restored system ... I think.

     If this is how it works then MSDOS.SYS should be backed up, shouldn't
     it?  and what about IO.SYS?  Why is it excluded?

     Thanks for your help.

     Eric Lewis UW-Madison