ADSM-L

Re: How many ADSM Adminstrators do you have?

1999-04-05 09:47:08
Subject: Re: How many ADSM Adminstrators do you have?
From: Madhu Gandhi <madhug AT PRODIGY DOT NET>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1999 09:47:08 -0400
Please explain me your set up. Are you backing up over the network. We
need to backup a number of servers on a single ADSM server using ADSM.
I guess you cannot backup using a scsi connection (from all the clients) to

a single tape drive? Can you?

I shall appreciate if you provide your user set up instructions and some
server
set up instructions or what ever you feel is important for us.
Thanks,
Madhu Gandhi

----------
> From: Russell Street <russells AT AUCKLAND.AC DOT NZ>
> From: Russell Street <russells AT AUCKLAND.AC DOT NZ>
> To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
> Subject: Re: How many ADSM Adminstrators do you have?
> Date: Friday, April 02, 1999 8:40 PM
>
> We are a considerably smaller site that Scott's with one ADSM server,
> about 400 clients, 3.1TB and 32 million files the last time I looked.
> Plans to grow to 2000 clients over the next 18 months.
>
> I am the person responsible for the ADSM server (hardware, tape
> library, server OS and ADSM server).  On a good day, ADSM takes around
> 1 hour of my time per day to look after.  That is mostly checking it
> is healthy, answering questions, registering new nodes.
>
> In theory we have two people as my backup.
>

> Daily database backups and offsite tape handling are done by our
> operations staff.
>
> Client installation and training is either done by departmental
> support staff or by the user directly.  We have someone writing some
> user friendly instructions.  I originally wrote some user unfriendly
> instructions ;)
>
> For one department I have delegated responsibility to administer their
> nodes directly in the ADSM server.  They are planning on around 400
> clients and bring more on stream every day.
>

> Russell
>

> > In our company I am the only ADSM admin.  My title is Software Analyst
and
> > this is only one of the products I support.  The idea being that
production
> > support would take it over.  Due to the intricate nature of ADSM, that
has
> > not happened.
> >
> > We currently have 8 ADSM servers.  They all run on AIX.  I have two
3494
> > libraries, one 3570 and two 3575 as well as an optical jukebox.  I
store
> > around 18 terabytes of information from around 100 clients ranging from
AIX