ADSM-L

Re: How many ADSM Adminstrators do you have?

1999-04-02 19:40:07
Subject: Re: How many ADSM Adminstrators do you have?
From: Russell Street <russells AT AUCKLAND.AC DOT NZ>
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 1999 12:40:07 +1200
We are a considerably smaller site that Scott's with one ADSM server,
about 400 clients, 3.1TB and 32 million files the last time I looked.
Plans to grow to 2000 clients over the next 18 months.

I am the person responsible for the ADSM server (hardware, tape
library, server OS and ADSM server).  On a good day, ADSM takes around
1 hour of my time per day to look after.  That is mostly checking it
is healthy, answering questions, registering new nodes.

In theory we have two people as my backup.

Daily database backups and offsite tape handling are done by our
operations staff.

Client installation and training is either done by departmental
support staff or by the user directly.  We have someone writing some
user friendly instructions.  I originally wrote some user unfriendly
instructions ;)

For one department I have delegated responsibility to administer their
nodes directly in the ADSM server.  They are planning on around 400
clients and bring more on stream every day.

Russell