ADSM-L

Delete volume - input requested

1999-01-19 11:57:05
Subject: Delete volume - input requested
From: "David E. Bohm" <bohm AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 09:57:05 -0700
It appears I might not have been clear enough in my
previous request based on some of the responses I
have seen.  The change only affects

1 - Non system 390.  VM, MVS, VSE will not change.
2 - Only those commands (Delete Volume, Restore Volume)
    where the command will remove the volume from being
    associated with a storage pool.  This will have no
    impact on reclamation because that process will only
    remove the volumes from a storage pool that came from
    scratch.
3 - It only changes tapes that were defined to the storage
    pool with the DEFINE VOLUME command rather than being
    associated with the storage pool through a scratch
    mount request.
4 - It will only apply to storage pool volumes.  The data
    base backups, exports, and function of DELETE VOLHIST
    will not change.
5 - The only impact I see is those storage pool volumes
    that were defined to the storage pool through the
    DEFINE VOLUME command when they are deleted from the
    storage pool would now remain in the private category
    in the library inventory rather than being returned to
    scratch.  This part I am not sure if it will have an
    impact on customer automation scripts and is the piece
    that I really need feedback on.  The volume will still
    get deleted from the storage pool, it is only the
    state of the library inventory (Scratch vs Private)
    for this specific case that will change.

Thanks - David Bohm
ADSM server development
(520) 799-5082 T/L 321-5082
email - bohm AT us.ibm DOT com