ADSM-L

Re: Recommendations and Costs for DLT Library/Drives

1998-11-20 16:33:18
Subject: Re: Recommendations and Costs for DLT Library/Drives
From: Alan White <arw AT TIPPER.DEMON.CO DOT UK>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 21:33:18 -0000
Hi Dennis

I probably sound like a Sony salesman but I'm not honest!For price,
reliability, performance, GB per square foot, scalability ----- and its here
today - go with Sony AIT.

I read nothing but problems with DLT microcode in libraries in this mailing
list ( well I guess this is where we all share the pain ;-).

If you need really small there is ADSM Server on NT talking to a Sony TSL
A300 - a 4 slot autochanger - works perfectly costs about USD 5K.
Getting bigger (up to 120 slot today, 360 after Comdex) there is the
Qualstar range however think about operational management with a single IO
port. Each drive approx USD 2.5K
The form factor is 8mm but its not Exabyte - its a completely new
technology - the 8mm form factor means there is no costly engineering for
library manufacturers.

If you can wait some of the LTO stuff coming up looks as if it might set the
standard for the next few years.

My thoughts FWIW.
Regards
Alan