ADSM-L

Re: Qualstar 46120

1998-11-20 16:46:25
Subject: Re: Qualstar 46120
From: Alan White <arw AT TIPPER.DEMON.CO DOT UK>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 21:46:25 -0000
Leandro

No problems running six drives at the same time except for some dumb reason
they are all on th same SCSI bus. We get good performance on migration with
2 processes active (approx 10 - 12 MB/s).

I'll take a look at the config parameters on the library for you however,
I've just witnessed our media guys pain with this library first hand.

The process for checking in is to run the checkin libv and then wait for the
IO port to extend, place the tape in the port, run 'q req' and 'reply' as
appropriate. Really a bit painful - libraries with multiple IO ports are
more managable.

For labelling I've given in on LABEL LIBV it appears to work then at the
last moment you get an IO error on the drive and the libraries inventory is
all messed up. dsmlabel works fine, I tend to do a -keep, then when I'm
finished labelling tapes run AUDIT LIBRARY LIB1 CHECKL=BARCODE. After this
its a case of CHECKIN LIBV LIB1 SEARCH=YES STATUS=SCRATCH etc which sets
everything back to normal. You could just open the door but that seems to
have a profound effect on all other processes and sessions using the
library. MOVE DRM and CHECKOUT LIBV is just a case of lifting the tapes out
as it presents them and REPLYing to the request.

I don't know if its the device drivers or the nature of the library that
mean all this pussy-footing around is needed. We've only got this one and it
will soon be playing a much more minor role so I'm not going through the
pain of the support process to help debug the code/library.

Let me know if you still want the settings - reply to arw AT db DOT com if you
want
to take this offline.
Regards
Alan