ADSM-L

Recommendations and Costs for DLT Library/Drives

1998-11-20 11:36:20
Subject: Recommendations and Costs for DLT Library/Drives
From: Dennis Schaffer <Dennis.Schaffer AT MUTUALOFOMAHA DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 10:36:20 -0600
I'm planning to supplement/replace my current Exabyte 8mm tape libraries
and drives next year with some form of newer/better (specifically, more
reliable) technology.  I don't have to make any decisions right now but I
need to put some money in the budget and am looking for input on $$$.

I'm running four ADSM/Windows NT V3.1.1.3 servers and that number will
probabably increase by two or three next year.  Each server holds about
600Gb of backup data and we backup about 55Gb to each server daily.  We
backup 140 Windows NT and (a few) Macintosh clients.

I'm interested in either smaller libraries that would be dedicated to each
ADSM server or larger libraries that could be shared by two or more
servers.

I've reviewed some of the archive messages on this subject and it appears
that my best choice for reliability (and maybe speed) is IBM 3590 and it
appears that a few people are doing that (with NT servers) but not many,
probably due to cost.  Cost may be a factor with us, as well.

The more probable scenario for us, from a cost point of view, is DLT
technology or possibly AIT.  It appears that STK products seem to be pretty
popular with the members of this list but there are probably other
possibilities, as well.

Would anyone be willing to provide recommendations for products that have
worked well for you?  And, more importantly, can anyone give me a ballpark
figure for costs of their favorite solutions?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Dennis Schaffer
Mutual of Omaha