ADSM-L

ADSM/NT V2 ->V3 Upgrade Question

1998-09-21 09:54:47
Subject: ADSM/NT V2 ->V3 Upgrade Question
From: Dennis Schaffer <Dennis.Schaffer AT MUTUALOFOMAHA DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 08:54:47 -0500
I'm preparing to upgrade several ADSM/NT V2 servers to ADSM V3.

I've read the minimal instructions for upgrading in the "Getting Started"
manual:
(1 Backup the V2 database
(2 Stop the server
(3 Remove the ADSM-defined devices (I'm not sure why this is done)
(4 Deinstall ADSM/NT V2
(5 Install ADSM/NT V3
(6 Define the ADSM devices
(7 Start the server

I have two questions:
(1 Why do the instructions say to remove the ADSM-defined devices?  Does
   that mean disconnect them or does it actually mean delete the library
   and drive definitions?  And, can I delete those definitions without
   losing backup data?
(2 Isn't a database upgrade supposed to happen along the way somewhere?  Do
   I need to do that or does it happen under the covers with the V3
   installation?

Dennis Schaffer
Mutual of Omaha