ADSM-L

Re: ADSM/NT V2 ->V3 Upgrade Question

1998-09-21 22:56:04
Subject: Re: ADSM/NT V2 ->V3 Upgrade Question
From: Bruce Elrick <belrick AT HOME DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 20:56:04 -0600
Dennis Schaffer wrote:

> I'm preparing to upgrade several ADSM/NT V2 servers to ADSM V3.
>
> I've read the minimal instructions for upgrading in the "Getting Started"
> manual:
> (1 Backup the V2 database
> (2 Stop the server
> (3 Remove the ADSM-defined devices (I'm not sure why this is done)
> (4 Deinstall ADSM/NT V2
> (5 Install ADSM/NT V3
> (6 Define the ADSM devices
> (7 Start the server
>
> I have two questions:
> (1 Why do the instructions say to remove the ADSM-defined devices?  Does
>    that mean disconnect them or does it actually mean delete the library
>    and drive definitions?  And, can I delete those definitions without
>    losing backup data?

You delete them because the new server code includes new device driver
code.

> (2 Isn't a database upgrade supposed to happen along the way somewhere?  Do
>    I need to do that or does it happen under the covers with the V3
>    installation?

In the AIX upgrade, you are explicitly told to run "dsmserv upgradedb"
which does the upgrade.  The upgrade takes a minute or two, then the
server stops, then you can start it up into production.  Check the Quick
Start Guide that comes with the V3 CDs; it should have explicit upgrade
instructions.

Cheers...
Bruce