ADSM-L

Basic ADSM Questions....Please Assist

2015-10-04 17:53:21
Subject: Basic ADSM Questions....Please Assist
From: Stuart White [SMTP:Stuart.White AT TASC.DOT DOT GOV]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
     Hello All,

     We are in the process of "getting ready" to implement ADSM at our
     site. Up to this time all of my learning of the product has been
     through manuals, so you will have to excuse my "ignorance" if my
     questions sound off the wall.

     I think I have a pretty good understanding at this point of how ADSM
     is supposed to work, but I have a couple of questions involving the
     MVS mainframe side of the house.

     Here we go: Let's say,for example only, I am going to set up two
     storage pools for backup. The PRIMARY pool will be on DASD and the
     NEXT pool will be on tape. I plan to periodically flush out the DASD
     pool and put that backups to the NEXT storage pool (tape). I will then
     at some point make a COPYPOOL to make "backups of the backups" on
     tape.

     My question/statement is:

     1. On the PRIMARY DASD pool: The actual cataloged datasetname that
     will be allocated on the DASD is a name and size that I control and
     define....correct?
yes.
     2. On the NEXT tape pool:  What will the name of my tapes be ?
     We have CA1 tape management and these tapes will be identified through
     an exit as being externally managed.
We are using scratch tapes with ca1, rmm will work, too. ADSM tape names
are identical to the mvs names. You can only control the first qualifier of
your tape datasets. (Ask your sms admin what to choose).
     3. On the COPYpool (also tape): What will the names of those tapes be?
     I am assuming these will also have to be externally managed via the
     exit also.....
same.
     4. The purpose of the COPYpool, as I see it, will be to have offsite
     copies for disaster recovery. Is this a manual effort to get theses
     tapes offsite and then onsite again when the data on the offsite tapes
     become invalid ??
If you will work this way (other: 2 robots in 2 locations) you have to get
a list with the new copy-volumes, move them and mark them offsite. I don't
know how releasing empty offsite volumes will work exactly, but you might
get a list of offsite empty volumes, move them back, mark them as onsite
and the exit will scratch them (if they were scratch tapes before). I think
it works this way, but-no guarantee.

     Thanks ahead of time for anyone that can help. And, as I stated
     earlier, I am a new user to this product. As I build my knowledge
     base, my questions should become a little more meaningful.

     Stuart