ADSM-L

Basic ADSM Questions....Please Assist -Reply

1998-09-18 12:49:27
Subject: Basic ADSM Questions....Please Assist -Reply
From: Steve Fletcher <SFletcher AT GIANTOFMARYLAND DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 11:49:27 -0500
Stuart,
We are running ADSM on MVS (currently version 2) and using CA1 as our tape
manager.  My
answers are below each question.

     Here we go: Let's say,for example only, I am going to set up two
     storage pools for backup. The PRIMARY pool will be on DASD and the
     NEXT pool will be on tape. I plan to periodically flush out the DASD
     pool and put that backups to the NEXT storage pool (tape). I will then
     at some point make a COPYPOOL to make "backups of the backups" on
     tape.

First. make your copies before you move the data from disk to tape.  Otherwise
each copy
process will require two tape drives one for input and one for output.
Remember that ADSM is
tracking files.

     My question/statement is:

     1. On the PRIMARY DASD pool: The actual cataloged datasetname that
     will be allocated on the DASD is a name and size that I control and
     define....correct?

Correct.  You define the name of the VSAM linear dataset through a normal
IDCAMS define (or
thats how we did it) and then you run an ADSM utility which formats the dataset.

     2. On the NEXT tape pool:  What will the name of my tapes be ?
     We have CA1 tape management and these tapes will be identified through
     an exit as being externally managed.

This is controlled largely by ADSM,  Under version 2 and I don't think it has
been changed in V3,
you only have a few characters to manipulate when you define a device class
(such as tape or
3490 or 3590).  We set up two device classes one for onsite and the other
offsite.  Each tape
device class was given a unique DATASET NAME PREFIX which is used to create the
tape
name. Ours use the format ADSM.BKP.BFS for backups /onsite and ADSM.OFF.BFS for
offsite
backups.  Database backups have DBB as the last node in the name.

     3. On the COPYpool (also tape): What will the names of those tapes be?
     I am assuming these will also have to be externally managed via the
     exit also.....

See answer to question two.

     4. The purpose of the COPYpool, as I see it, will be to have offsite
     copies for disaster recovery. Is this a manual effort to get theses
     tapes offsite and then onsite again when the data on the offsite tapes
     become invalid ??

We set up CA1 to look for all tape with ADSM.OFF in the label and include those
in the pull lists.
We also setup a separate vault area for ADSM tapes to simplify BRS issues.  The
tapes
become invalid or are once they are reclaimed (another topic/time) and a reuse
delay period
passes (another topic / time).  At that point ADSM deletes the volume from the
storge pool
 and returns the tape volume control to CA1 which issues a pull from the
offsite storage.

Any questions, let me know. I'll try my best to answer.

Steve Fletcher
sfletcher AT giantofmaryland DOT com