ADSM-L

Re: Netware Client 3.1.0.5 not releasing memory?

1998-09-15 17:08:55
Subject: Re: Netware Client 3.1.0.5 not releasing memory?
From: Bill Colwell <bcolwell AT DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 17:08:55 -0400
I see what may be a related problem on my OS/2 workstation.  If I start the
scheduler I can kill it with ctrl_c if it hasn't actually run the schedule.
But once the scheduler has actually done a backup, I can't kill it with
ctrl_c or by closing the window or any other tool I have.  It will close
when the system is shutting down.  The 3.1.0.3 scheduler could be killed
anytime.  This may be another 3.1.0.5 bug.

In <9809159058.AA905885123 AT ccmail.adp.wisc DOT edu>, on 09/15/98
   at 01:47 PM, Eric LEWIS <eric.lewis AT CCMAIL.ADP.WISC DOT EDU> said:

>     To the list:  Any clues?  thanks.  Eric Lewis UW-Madison
>     eric.lewis AT doit.wisc DOT edu
>     larry.schiebel AT doit.wisc DOT edu

>     product:   Buckybackup (ADSM)
>     platform:  Intel
>     O S:       Netware 4.1
>     impact:    3
>     contact:   Eric Lewis
>                doit nst 3-1652

>     Running ADSM v3.1.0.5 on Netware 4.1 file servers.  When scheduled
>     backups finish, they are not releasing the memory they use back to the
>     file server cache buffer pool.  ADSM sessions are idle, waiting to be
>     contacted by the ADSM server for the next day's backup, however,
>     DSMC.NLM may be consuming upwards of 55 Mb of memory.  Unloading DSMC
>     and reloading it will release the memory, which is now our temporary
>     workaround.  The problem will otherwise repeat itself each day.  We
>     have observed this on all ADSM v3 clients running on Netware 4.1.

>     Thanks much...

>     LS2

Bill Colwell
Bill Colwell