ADSM-L

Reducing ADSM Database

1998-09-14 10:27:33
Subject: Reducing ADSM Database
From: "Price, Robert R." <pricerr AT WESTINGHOUSE DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 10:27:33 -0400
I can't figure out how to reduce the size of my ADSM database.

I have recently deleted several hundred ADSM clients and want to reuse the
disk space that the ADSM database was using for these clients.

Parameters:
  12 database volumes, each 1420MB
  12 database copies (mirrors), each 1420MB
  From q db:
    Available Space: 17,040MB
    Assigned Capacity: 17,040MB
    Maximum Extension: 0
    Maximum Reduction: 864
    Total Usable Pages: 4,362,240
    Used Pages: 2,468,382
    Pct Util: 56.6

Note that only 56.6 percent of the pages are used, but the maximum reduction
is only  5.1 percent of the assigned space.  I would like to get back about
14GB from the database volumes and mirrors for other uses.

I tried using "REDUCE DB 864" and then deleting a dbv and dbc, but ADSM
refused, stating that there was not enough room on other DB volumes.

I also tried a DSMSERV RESTORE DB hoping that it would repack the Used Pages
onto just 7 of the volumes, but it seemed to restore pages to exactly where
they were dumped from.

I suspect that DUMPDB/LOADDB may do the trick, but am a bit afraid to do
something that drastic if there is a better, safer way.

Any ideas?  Thanks.
Bob Price

Westinghouse Information Systems
4350 Northern Pike
Monroeville, PA 15146-2886

Email:   pricerr AT westinghouse DOT com
Voice:   (412) 374-3247, (WIN) 284-3247
FAX:     (412) 374-3470, (WIN) 284-3470