ADSM-L

Unable to restore using 32-bit 3.1.05 client on Win95

1998-09-14 10:17:01
Subject: Unable to restore using 32-bit 3.1.05 client on Win95
From: "Brazner, Bob" <Bob.Brazner AT JCI DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 09:17:01 -0500
I receive errors ANS1410E and ANS1084E when trying to restore.  I have two
machines, both are Win 95 running 32-bit 3.1.05.  I'm trying to restore
node1's data to node2, such as what might occur in a disaster scenario
where the node1 machine is no longer readily available.

Scenario 1: I start the gui on node2 with the following command: "dsm
-nod=node1".  I select the files and start the restore.  Upon the server
finally retrieving the backup files, message ANS1410E is issued ("Unable to
finally retrieving the backup files, message ANS1410E is issued ("Unable to
access network path \\node1\c$\mydir", where mydir is the first directory
to be restored).  Nothing gets restored.  The message curiously refers to
my directory as a "network path".  Hmmm.

Scenario 2: I add "node node1" to the node2 dsm.opt and start the gui on
node2 with command: "dsm".  I select the files and start the restore and
the same problem outlined in scenario 1 occurs.

Scenario 3: I start the command line interface with the following command:
"dsmc restore -nod=node1 -subdir=yes c:\mydir\*".  Nearly immediately,
message ANS1084E is issued ("No files have been previously backed up for
c:\mydir\*").  Yikes, I know I backed up node1's files.. I saw them a
moment ago on the gui in scenarios 1 and 2!!!

Scenario 4: I start the command line interface with the following command:
"dsmc restore -nod=node1 -subdir=yes \\node1\c$\mydir\*".  Now, message
ANS1084E is no longer issued (breathing a sigh of relief), but upon the
server finally retrieving the backup files, message ANS1410E is eventually
issued just as in scenario 1.

Scenario 5: I change the Computer Name (Network Neighborhood properties,
Identification tab) from "node2" to "node1" and reboot.  And now, I have no
problem whatsoever in restoring data for node1.  Both the gui and command
line work just fine.  Even scenario 3 works.

The problem here is that I'm not always in a position to do scenario 5; I
need the other scenarios to work.  Consider the situation where the
customer is going to get a new computer and the agreed-to process is to
clone the new one from the old one, while the customer continues to use the
old one (so we can't double up on the use of the computer name due to
Microsoft Networking).  And, oh yes, I don't want to (or may not be in a
position to) bother the node1 customer with having to run his/her ADSM
backup gui and assign access permissions to node2.  Am I missing something
or is this a bug in the ptf5 client?