ADSM-L

Re: DETACH tape from ADSM/VM 2.1 server

1998-09-14 10:21:48
Subject: Re: DETACH tape from ADSM/VM 2.1 server
From: Mark Wheeler <mlwheeler AT MMM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 09:21:48 -0500
From: Mark L. Wheeler    Phone (651)733-4355  FAX (651)736-7689
      3M IT Centralized Tech Services
      3M Center 224-4N-20, St. Paul, MN 55144-1000
Thomas, you didn't say what you thought the problem was, but I'll assume
you are seeing the tape being detached, and then very soon thereafter
(as soon as the next large file comes along) the tape being mounted
again. If so, you may want to take a look at the MOUNTRETENTION parm in
your DEVCLASS definition. For example, MOUNTRET=5 will keep the tape
mounted for 5 minutes after last use before detaching it. If the next
large file comes along within that 5 minutes, the tape can be used again
without re-mounting. Subject to collocation setting, of course.

>Hi to all,
>another "problem" which I would like to solve with your help.
>
>I'm running ADSM/VM 2.1. Today I have set the maximum
>file size of my backup storage pool. Files larger than 512MB
>go directly to the next storage pool on tape (3590).
>Unfortunately after a file has been written to tape the tape
>drive is detached from ADSM and the tape is unloaded.
>
>ADSM calls an exit machine to attach a tape. Is it possible
>that ADSM calls this exit when the tape needs to be detached?
>Or can I tell ADSM to detach the tape at the end of all scheduled
>backup processes?
>
>Kind regards
>Thomas Rupp
>Vorarlberger Illwerke AG
>MAIL:   thomas.rupp AT illwerke.co DOT at
>TEL:    ++43/5574/4991-251
>FAX:    ++43/5574/4991-820-8251

Best regards,
     Mark
"Let the excellence of your work be your protest." - Dr. William Lane