ADSM-L

Exchange Databases

1998-09-04 08:04:57
Subject: Exchange Databases
From: Phil Chissell <phil.chissell AT NATPOWER DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 12:04:57 -0000
Like most people, before the arrival of the Exchange connect agent, we
have been backing up our Exchange servers by scheduling a script which
shuts down Exchange, performs a backup and then restarts Exchange.

We are now rolling out the Exchange connect agent so we can do our
backups online.

So what's the problem?

For the last few months we have been backing up Exchange the old way and
subsequently have backup copies of the DIR.EDB, PRIV.EDB and PUB.EDB
files, some of which are extremely large.

As these are obviously no longer required, does anybody know how we can
remove these files from the backups thus freeing up some space?  The
only way I know is to delete the files on the target server and wait for
the natural expiration to kick in and then they will get expired in the
normal way after the "retain only version after file is deleted"
parameter has been passed.  However, we obviously can't delete these
database files and as far as I know excluding these files from the
backup won't cause them to expire?  Has anybody got a solution to this?

Regards

Phil

Phil Chissell
National Power plc
Windmill Hill Business Park
Whitehill Way
Swindon
Wilts. SN5 6PB
UK

Tel:  +44 (0)1793 894237
Fax: +44 (0)1793 894230
MailTo:Phil.Chissell AT natpower DOT com